The 1828 Rice-Upshaw House was the first of four log structures restored by Black River Technical College in rural Randolph County, Arkansas with funding from the Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council.
The restoration presented a real challenge for the multi-disciplinary research and restoration team of architects, archeologists, historians, and craftsmen. It was known from the beginning that this structure was not the dwelling house for Reuben Rice and his family. They had arrived in the Eleven Point River Valley from Tennessee in 1812. Their early arrival has been well documented but the site of their dwelling house remains undetermined.
Dendrochronology studies, or tree-ring dating, conducted by Dr. David Stahle of the University of Arkansas Tree-ring Laboratory had confirmed the family tradition that this structure was built in 1828. As with many log structures, the basic architectural principal that form follows function was an essential consideration when investigating the earliest origins of the Rice-Upshaw House.
For more information about the Rice-Upshaw House and Site see 1820s Trading Center ad Pavilion.