The Rice-Upshaw House and Site
The Rice-Upshaw House was initially constructed in 1828 and used possibly as a one-story store / loom house by the builder Reuben Rice. Reuben established a rural trading center soon after the Rice family arrived in the Eleven Point River Valley in 1812.
The structure features an original log partition wall, a rarity in vernacular architecture. A restored 1820s log granary survives from the well-documented trading center days adding to the site’s significance. The house is restored to the 1840s era when Reuben’s son expanded the main structure to serve as a family dwelling house. It was donated to BRTC by Rice descendants, Dorothy Jean Upshaw and her children.
For more information about the Rice-Upshaw House and site see Restoration Journey and 1820s Trading Center and Pavilion.